Donald Trump has done some things that have been generally approved by the black community, e.g., he donated office space to Jesse Jackson's civil rights group, the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, and once hosted an NAACP convention party. However, he has also done and said things that cause grave concern in the black community:
Housing Discrimination. In 1973 Trump Management Corporation was sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination by not renting to blacks. Trump sued the Justice Department for $100 million for defamation but the defamation suit was dismissed. Trump settled the law suit but Trump Management was later again charged with continuing to discriminate against blacks.
Sought Death Penalty for Four Blacks & A Hispanic Wrongly Convicted in Central Park Rape Case. In 1989 a white woman was raped while jogging in Central Park in New York City. Five young black or Hispanic men were found guilty of the crime and served prison time. Trump took out a full-page ad in the The New York Times, The Daily News, The New York Post, and New York Newsday, calling for a return of the death penalty. The defendants were later released after a convicted rapist was linked via DNA evidence to the crime, and New York City settled with them for a total of $40 million. Trump was criticized for inflaming passions and potentially tainting the jury pool.
Blacks Lazy, Don't Want Them Counting My Money. John O'Donnel, a former president of Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino wrote in his book, Trumped, that Trump disparaged a black accountant saying, "laziness is a trait in blacks." The book also quoted Trump as saying, "Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.
Good Relationships with "The Blacks." In a 2011 interview with Albany's Talk Radio 1300 Trump stated,"I have a great relationship with the blacks, I've always had a great relationship with the blacks." Trump went on to say that it was a "very sad thing" that "Hillary Clinton had done so much for the black population, so much and got very few votes."
Well Educated Blacks Have Actual Advantage. Trump to Bryant Gumbel in 1989 interview: "If I was starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I really do believe they have the actual advantage today.”
Black Protester Deserved Roughing Up. At a November Trump rally on November 21, 2015, in Birmingham Alabama, a Black Lives Matter protestor was kicked and punched after he interrupted the rally. Later Trump said that maybe he deserved being roughed up for being loud and obnoxious. “Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing,” Trump said on the Fox News Channel on Sunday morning. “I have a lot of fans, and they were not happy about it. And this was a very obnoxious guy who was a trouble-maker who was looking to make trouble.
Retweeting False Black Crime Statistice. On Nov. 22, 2015, Trump retweeted a graphic from a non-existent crime statistic bureau that purported to show crime along racial lines. The most startling statistic was that Blacks killed 81% of the white homicide victims, when the actual FBI number is just 15%. Trump later stated that he does not verify items he retweets. For many items discussing this, Google "Trump racist tweet".
False Claims of Pending Endorsements by 100 African American Pastors. In late November, 2015, Trump called a press conference for November 30, 2015 at which 100 African-American pastors were going to endorse him. After serious backlash from invitees who publicly stated they were not going to endorse him, and some of whom declined to even come, the Trump campaign changed it to a private meeting at which no press would be allowed.
NEXT: Trump Business Fails
(1) Marcus Baram, "Donald Trump Was Once Sued by Justice Department for Not Renting to Blacks," Huffington Post, June 29, 2011,http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/donald-trump-blacks-lawsuit_n_855553.html
(2) Michael Wilson, "Trump Draws Criticism for Ad he Ran After Jogger Attack," New York Times, Oct. 23, 2002, http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/23/nyregion/trump-draws-criticism-for-ad-he-ran-after-jogger-attack.html
(3) Amy Davidson, "Donald Trump and the Central Park Five," New Yorker, June 23, 2014, http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/donald-trump-and-the-central-park-five
(4) George R. Curry, "Donald Trump is a Celebrity Racist," GeorgeCurry.com,http://georgecurry.com/cms/?p=589
(5) CNN Political Unit, "Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks,' CNN, Apr. 11, 2011, http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/14/trump-says-he-has-good-relationship-with-the-blacks/
(6) David Remnick, "The Trump Balloon," New Yorker, July 8, 2015, http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-trump-balloon
(7) -, "Profile: Bryant Gumbel," HistoryCommons.org, http://www.historycommons.org/entity.jsp?entity=bryant_gumbel_1
(8) Jenna Johnson and Mary Jordan, "Trump on rally protester: 'Maybe he should have been roughed up,'" Washington Post, Nov. 22, 2015,https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/22/black-activist-punched-at-donald-trump-rally-in-birmingham/
(9) Jon Greenberg, "Trump's Pants on Fire tweet that blacks kiled 81% of white homicide victims," Politifact, Nov. 23, 2015, http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/23/donald-trump/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/
(10) Callum Borchers, "Donald Trump actually admitted that he doesn't check his facts. Seriously.," Washington Post, Nov. 24, 2015,https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/24/donald-trump-actually-admitted-that-he-doesnt-check-his-facts-seriously/
(11) Heather Haddon, "Donald Trump to Get Endorsements Fromo African-American Pastors," Wall Street Journal, Nov. 27, 2015,http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/27/donald-trump-to-get-endorsement-from-african-american-pastors/
(12) Eugene Scott, "Black religious leaders: No Trump endorsement," CNN, Nov. 29, 2015, http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/28/politics/black-religious-leaders-donald-trump-endorsement/index.html